- Apex Magazine’s special Arab/Muslim issue is now live and is full of brilliant, beautiful, amazing writing. Go read.
- Cat Valente — editor of Apex Magazine — celebrated the release of her book this past weekend. The Habitation of the Blessed: A Dirge for Prester John vol 1 is available in many fine bookstores and in eBook form. I have a copy of this book and have been clinging to it jealously ever since it was handed to me.
- If the name Cat Valente doesn’t get you excited, and you’re all: WTF is Prester John, then partake of this video that explains it all with action figures. It is the best thing on the Internet right now.
- The other book I got my hands on this weekend is M. K. Hobson’s The Native Star. People, you need this book.
- The 50th issue of Clarkesworld Magazine is out and, lo, it contains fiction by two people who I am not only proud to call friends, but who regularly shake me to the core with how wonderful their fiction is: Genevieve Valentine and N. K. Jemisin. That is too much awesomeness for one issue, right? Read it, anyway.
Read Cat Valente’s post. Or, if you are lazy, here’s the takeaway:
No one goes around suggesting that everyone should become their own autonomous cheesemakers and cheering the death of the cheese industry. Why? Because that would result in a lot of shitty cheese.
I know I’ve mentioned before that I’m sharing the Federations TOC with some amazing writers, including my friend Cat Valente. Cat is always doing really amazing stuff with her fiction (you’ve seen me go on and on about S. J. Tucker’s musical contributions before) including finding neat ways to add extra meta stuff to it. For Federations, she created an awesome, awesome mix of music and reading and techno and stuff and you should really listen. Then buy the book!